What Works Best For You? 2017.26.
Everyone has some ideas for that work best for them.
In terms of being a school parent and being organised for what school terms bring I wondered what works best for you!
This is the Morning Routine version of what worked for me. Back in the 1980s and 90s.
I was a school parent well before the internet and daily access to schools and newsletters and the like. However, I always had a fridge calendar and a space for notes there too. I kept our family calendar updated with school and extra curricular items such as sport and group events listed.
I added meeting days where I would be late home, necessitating other arrangements for school pick up and when there were to be meetings at the kids’ schools such as ‘meet the teacher.’
I would love to have readers share.
My list that worked best for me included:
- I made sure I was up before the kids…just for my sanity…and I could get in some breakfast too before waking the darlings.
- kids did not get dressed until they ate their breakfast and there were limited choices: cereal and toast.
- TV never went on in the mornings. Ever. It was hard enough getting kids to stay on track. At least there were no electronic devices back then.
- school clothes (including mine, because I was a teacher going off to school too!) ready the night before and laid out, with socks & shoes so there were no delays in finding said items!
- checking of the weather report the night before (and the morning) so that we were prepared for rain/heat whatever Australia’s changing weather systems had on offer.
- school bags emptied the night before (or on the weekend, the Friday for preference!) so that filling was easy in the mornings. Actually not fully emptied. I was the person who made her kids always have a folded up raincoat lying in the bottom of the school bag.
- lunches were made in advance and in my case, kids and mine were made in batches and frozen.Boring same ingredients and sometimes not eaten but they were ready to pop into lunch boxes.
- a snack self-selection area in the pantry with a guide for how many and from which group to add to lunchbox.
- frozen water bottles grabbed from the freezer and wrapped in a towel – it helped with insulation and a cooling thing on the very hot days anyway.
- library bag at the ready if it was library day.
- school hat either next to the bag OR kept in the car as the kids would be dropped off from the car.
- homework folders/books ready to be returned on the day as requested by the teacher.
- notes signed, money added (if needed) and put in a plastic zip bag because for sure, these items get messed up in kids’ bags.
- everyone in the car, buckled up allowing for the school drop offs and for me to be at school on time!
So, I used to look forward to getting to school….for the break and a coffee after all that above..and then up to my classroom to be ready for teaching everyone else’s kids!
What works for you in the mornings before school?
Do tell me in the comments!
Joining new school mum, Kylie Purtell here with my other blogging friends for I Blog On Tuesdays.